Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Give me one sec...I just have to write down my...

Goals.  Have you ever said that? I have a list of things to do, I need to write my goals. My goal is to write my goals by next week. One afternoon I was having lunch with a friend and I asked, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" My friend is about 3 years older than me, so I expected a litany of things that he may have wanted to accomplish. I know I was nearing 30 and had a list that I was constantly checking off. When he told me, "I've done everything I've always wanted to do. I was on television, I had a play produced, etc." At the time, even though my mouth wasn't on the floor, my brain was.  If you don't have goals, then you might as well die. What are you living for?  If you don't have a plan or a clear outline for what you want to accomplish in life, then just perish.  There really isn't a need for you to continue living. 

Well, I have goals. Before I turned 30 I created a list of things that I needed to accomplish and I did all of them. I am now in the process of creating my new list of things to do before I turn 35.  The list has changed somewhat but it has been a great barometer in making decisions and helping me decide my path in life. 

If you haven't written your goals, then how are you going to plan your financial freedom?  Dan Kennedy, author of No B.S. Time Management for Entrepreneurs, states,"...the disciplined act of focusing on questions such as What do I really want?  What do I want my business to be like in three years? and writing down answers is very productive in and of itself." If you don't know where you're going, then how do you know where you're at?  Now, maybe you aren't trying to start a business, but this life that we live is akin to a business. It's my personal business. How I plan and outline my next steps can help dictate the direction of my life.

Writing down your goals paints a visual image in your brain and in your subconscious that you are working towards something.  You may think this is strange, but I have a list of goals taped up in my bathroom.  While I'm brushing my teeth I can read them and then afterwards I say them out loud. No one is there to hear me but my mind, body, and spirit.

If you want to be financially free, how are you going to get there? What steps are you taking to ensure success and a financially free retirement? 

No comments: