As entrepreneurs it's easy to imagine that we are working on a project, but in actuality we are fooling ourselves. It's imperative that we stomp our foot through the floor and feel every splinter, because it's time for a wake up call!
Let's look at what we are twiddling our thumbs over!
Are you a networking junkie? Do you have more cards in your Rolodex than customers? Or since we are in Tokyo are you carrying a Poken and hoping to share news of your latest business venture to someone who is trying to sell to you? If so, these are some things you need to think about:
- What's the purpose of this networking event?
- Why are you going?
- Will you know 50%-70% of the people there?
- What's your sales pitch?
- How many new people do you plan to meet?
- Set a time limit. "I will stay for two hours and leave promptly at 10PM."
Having a meeting is the supreme smoke screen. You think you are doing something because you had a meeting, but what did you really do?
Every time someone asks you to join a meeting, think about a few things:
- What's the agenda?
- What's your purpose?
- What new things will you learn?
- What are the next steps?
There's no sense in wasting time meeting with people who will drain your energy.
You read correctly, reading can be a serious time waster. If you are reading for pleasure that's fine. We all need to relax and have a laugh or two. If you are reading a book about business, then make sure it's worth it. Here are few guiding questions before you hit the library!
- Is the writer someone who is respected in your field?
- Is this book relevant to your current progress or will you need to address these concerns in the near future?
- Has it been said before? How many other writer's have said the same thing and used the exact same quotes?
- What new information did you learn after you read the first chapter?
Networking, meetings, and reading can stop you from your end goal! Get focused and put those thumbs to work!